Melanie LeMay - writer.editor.designer
RSS

Recent Posts

Moved to Atlanta!
Why people like cats
When God allows pain
From dumpster to divahood! Bookshelf repurposed!
The repurposed bookcase: A metaphor

Categories

Atlanta
Food
General
Repurposed!
Starting Over
powered by

My Blog

Our lives in groceries

In getting ready to go grocery shopping this morning, I'm reminded of how much our food choices and cooking habits reflect the stages of our lives. As a new bride, I planned every meal in advance, posting a week's worth of menus on the refrigerator door and carefully purchasing only the items I needed to support my plans. Young OCDer that I was, there was no room for deviation, even if we didn't feel like chicken casserole on a Thursday night!

When pregnant, I craved only two foods -- chocolate glazed donuts from Krispy Kreme and green olives. I could almost devour a whole dozen donuts on the drive from Huffman to my Southside job each day, and was known to stop at convenience store to buy tall jars of olives to fish out with my fingers as I drove.

With two active toddlers in tow, my preplanned menus went out the window. I was lucky on some days even to get a meal prepared! With the addition of a part-time job, I leaned on my husband to bring home take-out food for us at night. My main goal was to produce enough milk to nurse whichever child was a baby at the time, so I concentrated on drinking lots of fluids and ate a lot of raw fruit and veggies that I didn't have to cook.

With the boys in school, we discovered Happy Meals and pizza and hot dogs, the ideal cuisine for a then-single mom with a full-time job who didn't have time to care what she ate. Even when I did spend the time on a "grown-up" meal, the boys still longed for pizza.

With remarriage came a new emphasis on cooking, but now it seemed like more of a chore. At least I had help shopping and lugging the groceries into the house, and sometimes even help with the cooking itself, but my menus often clashed with step-children who didn't like one food or another.

Single once more, with my boys on their own, my grocery shopping dwindled to convenience foods, dog food and dog treats. My microwave and I became best friends, and I knew the heating times for every entree offered up by Lean Cuisine.

When unemployed and without health insurance, my shopping dwindled further to carefully counted-out pennies for the pasta and tomato combination I lived on. For variety, I added a jar of mayonnaise, a combo package of ham and turkey, and bread.

Today, having learned that living in the present moment is the key to happiness, I am off to purchase cake flour and confectioner's sugar for the from-scratch cupcakes I want to bake. The artist in me has also added acrylic paint to my list, a perfectly reasonable item in this day of grocery and home goods superstores.

But most important on my list is the one item I never leave off. Yahoo!

10 Comments to Our lives in groceries:

Comments RSS
Marcene Manieri on Monday, October 05, 2015 12:49 PM
on the unit as well as handheld?
Reply to comment

best writingservices on Thursday, April 12, 2018 12:47 PM
Olives in groceries for the perfect and improving the methods as well and effective purchasing advance,discovered the drinking and cooking food. May this is reasonable package moment and perfect lugging as well.
Reply to comment

https://www.essayontime.co.uk/ on Thursday, April 18, 2019 12:44 PM
While other see grocery shopping as a chore, I don't. As a mother, it is one of the few tasks that I enjoy the most. With or without children in tow, I always look forward to going to the grocery every week. I don't know if that makes me a freak, but I just don't feel harried or stressed when I am inside surrounded by aisles and aisles of food products. I go when the store is practically to myself, then I can walk the aisles without too many people. I always carry a shopping list but I find myself linger for a few minutes to savor the atmosphere.
Reply to comment

Carma Land on Monday, May 13, 2019 2:01 PM
OVER 100,000 people have grabbed this Video Creation Software since it's release... The top marketers know the incredible power of an awesome well made video. It's been proven time and time again to boost conversions and sales. What video creation software doesn't take weeks or months to master? master it in hours! Make Awesome Videos In Minutes Using... Watch Some Of The Samples Below! http://bit.ly/2Ye3uBE No Restrictions. Ever. No More Limits! No Watermarks! Create Unlimited Videos & Have Full Rights to Everything Made! Grow Your Sales Captivate & Engage Your Audience. Make Easy Videos For Just About Anything! So You Can Quickly & Easily Make... Product Promotion Videos Affiliate Review Videos Amazon Product Review Videos Offline Business Promotion Videos Videos From Text Articles http://bit.ly/2Ye3uBE
Reply to comment

Aly Chiman on Friday, May 24, 2019 5:19 AM
Hello there, My name is Aly and I would like to know if you would have any interest to have your website here at melanielemay.com promoted as a resource on our blog alychidesign.com ? We are updating our do-follow broken link resources to include current and up to date resources for our readers. If you may be interested in being included as a resource on our blog, please let me know. Thanks, Aly
Reply to comment

M2150-860 dumps on Tuesday, July 09, 2019 3:10 AM
Reply to comment

buy essays australia on Sunday, August 04, 2019 11:17 AM
Sounds awesome. Do you like shopping? It's a nice process.
Reply to comment

example of dissertation abstract on Wednesday, October 09, 2019 3:33 AM
I do not like going to a grocery store, especially when I'm hungry, because at that moment I'm ready to spend all my money and I want everything
Reply to comment

buy dissertation methodology help on Friday, November 08, 2019 4:58 AM
My motto is going too shopping being full, because buying stuff being hungry is so wrong idea, in this case it's a huge possibility to buy lots of useless stuff.
Reply to comment

dissertation conclusion examples on Friday, November 08, 2019 6:46 AM
I like it when people have an artistic approach even to cooking. They are able then to create whole pictures, memories, worlds from what they cook!
Reply to comment