Melanie LeMay - writer.editor.designer
RSS

Recent Posts

Moved to Atlanta!
Why people like cats
When God allows pain
From dumpster to divahood! Bookshelf repurposed!
The repurposed bookcase: A metaphor

Categories

Atlanta
Food
General
Repurposed!
Starting Over
powered by

My Blog

The repurposed bookcase: A metaphor

Thinking about repurposing, I realize my project of the last couple of days is the ideal metaphor. Here's the story.

I noticed an odd, but well-built piece of furniture sitting behind a dumpster near my apartment. Perhaps it was part of a dresser at one time, or the hutch for a desk. It was solid wood and in good condition except for a few small traces of wear. Someone had shoved it back out of sight -- not all the way in the dumpster, but headed for demolition when the garbage truck would arrive the next day.

It was sort of like us Boomers, solid, and in good condition except for some minor areas of wear. It hadn't yet been dumped, but was close to it. Apparently it no longer fit into its previous home, and though it seemed to be too good to be discarded, its owners no longer knew what to do with it. Here's what it looked like.

Of course I empathized with the poor thing, but not out of pity. I took one look at it and instantly saw how it could be repurposed into something I needed very badly - a large, attractive, solid-wood bookcase. (If you haven't noticed, in this age of electronic books, it's getter harder to find affordable bookcases that have any style at all.) Those stubby little shelves on the side, with the gaps inbetween, could be extended into full-size shelves (just as we often have to fill the gaps in our training or background with new classes or experience). Likewise, I could cover the top with a sheet of thin plywood and make it usable as well.

Inspired, I dragged the thing home, measured it, and went to Lowe's armed with the dimensions for three shelves and some trim. It took some help from a knowledgeable Lowe's staffer to get the shelves selected and cut (much as a Boomer might need help figuring out what to add to his/her skill set to jump-start reinvention), but soon I was driving home with a trunk full of fresh wood.

Then I ran into a typical Boomer problem: I hadn't thought through all the ramifications. I had planned to simply lay fresh shelving on top of the stubby side shelves, but I hadn't counted on the fact that to place a fresh board on top of the bottom set of stubby shelves, I'd have to take the whole piece apart in order to insert the new shelf. Fortunately, I love logistical problems like these! (Again, there's an analogy here. Sometimes filling the gaps in our education and experience requires some creative thinking!) In this case, I took a hammer and banged on one stubby shelf until I separated it from the rest of the piece. With the new shelf positioned over the opposite stub, I pushed the first stub back into place and hammered it to its new and improved upper shelf. Problem solved!

The top piece proved to be yet another problem. Either I measured wrong or the Lowe's gang cut wrong, because my top piece was three inches too short! Another creative solution required! This time I unearthed a new jigsaw I'd bought some time ago and never had the gumption to use. I read the directions, inserted the wood blade, used my sewing machine to hold the plywood in place on my dining room table, and cut a piece to fill in the gap. It took learning to use a new piece of equipment to solve this issue, but now I know how to use my jigsaw, and I can transfer that skill to future projects. My reliance on people with their own saws has just been mitigated! Ditto for the Boomer who takes the time to master a piece of new technology, no matter how small.

With nails and some putty, plus a touch with my electric sander, my bookcase was ready to paint. I've been working on it today, and tomorrow I'll post a photo of it in its finished state.

This just goes to prove that something with good bones can be repurposed into something that can continue to be useful for years to come. Boomers (and employers), take note!

19 Comments to The repurposed bookcase: A metaphor:

Comments RSS
9+8 on Thursday, March 01, 2018 3:35 AM
+98

ukbestessays on Sunday, March 04, 2018 5:13 AM
The bookcase demolition garbage chances and offering the previous discarded for the more driving home to counted planning melanielemay site. The problem can be effective the solution requested and making measured note.

Kendrick on Friday, March 09, 2018 3:32 PM

Is Seatgeek Legit, Dependable and Reputable?

We use SeatGeek for activities from baseball games to live shows and plays. It is always an aggregator meaning they don't seriously sell something but, instead, they exhibit the cost of tickets from a variety of third-party sellers costs involved all in a single site. It's an excellent option to - at a glance - see pricing from a bunch of sources.

Find the most affordable listing on SeatGeek https://sites.google.com/site/legitticketsites/seatgeek-reviews then head to eBates to observe if you're able to get even more cash back. One instance is if the most affordable tickets are on Scorebig.com you�re able to log in by using eBates to acquire the tickets from Scorebig and get 6% again.

Seatgeek Legit, Reliable and Reliable?

Why go through a 3rd social gathering ticket broker for just a demonstrate readily available? For anybody who is asking with regards to the Radio Town Xmas Magnificent with the Rockettes just go immediate to Ticketmaster the place you possibly can see almost every seat attainable for the amount you must fork out. Look at 1st on Playbill, Theatermania, or Broadwaybox to see if a reduction code is on the market for that effectiveness you desire and enter it on Ticketmaster. This manner the one thing more you spend is Ticketmaster's assistance cost, which can't be avoided for any on the net transaction.

best essays on Sunday, July 15, 2018 5:40 AM
You are right. It's a cool metaphor. Do you have any other stories to share?

assignment writers australia on Monday, March 11, 2019 5:42 AM
I think I can make this bookcase too. It's not that hard. Don't you agree?

q on Friday, May 03, 2019 2:12 AM
q

top ranked resume writing services on Tuesday, May 07, 2019 3:15 AM
Thank you for posting and sharing your journey. I learned a lot. The metaphor you used is nice. You have a talent in writing. You are really great. I am amazed on this blog that you have posted. You really used the dumpster as a good metaphor. I have realized a lot. One of the things that I realized is that, sometimes other things have a different purpose in our life, we just have to look at the other side and not focus on what we see. Keep on writing things like this. I will surely read it.

paper writer service on Sunday, May 19, 2019 10:51 AM
Wondering where to find a research paper writing service? Here you go! Choose your paper writer online and have your work done in a while.

tableclothsfactory on Friday, May 31, 2019 8:44 PM
The repurposed bookcase: A metaphor

wholesale eyelashes on Tuesday, June 04, 2019 2:07 AM
The repurposed bookcase: A metaphor

wedding stubby holders australia on Wednesday, June 05, 2019 10:23 PM
The repurposed bookcase: A metaphor

iphone 8 plus cases on Saturday, June 22, 2019 9:35 PM
The repurposed bookcase: A metaphor

ShoppingStockInc on Saturday, July 20, 2019 1:38 PM
If you are searching for the sofa set that need to be durable leather recliner sofa set can be the perfect one for you. This sofa set can be used for years with rough and everyday use. Visit our suite to choose the perfect design that will suit your living room.

webstagram on Wednesday, July 31, 2019 3:25 AM
Such a very useful article. Very interesting to read this article.I would like to thank you for the efforts you had made for writing this awesome article.

vintage clothing online uk on Friday, August 30, 2019 8:35 PM
I am persistently astounded by the measure of data accessible on this subject. What you introduced was very much scrutinized and eloquent with a specific end goal to get your stand on this crosswise over to every one of your perusers.

Phoenix babysitting on Sunday, October 06, 2019 12:21 AM
Excellent and very exciting site. Love to watch. Keep Rocking.

piknu on Friday, October 11, 2019 2:33 AM
I like this blog too much whenever i have visited this blog i got really updated information here.Thanks for this effective post. Go to my site about top hashtag on instagram

Load Cell on Tuesday, October 22, 2019 12:24 AM
I think this is a better than average article. You make this data intriguing and locks in. You give perusers a ton to consider and I welcome that sort of composing.

female khajit names on Thursday, November 07, 2019 6:14 AM
Khajiit names always have a prefix or suffix and in some cases both indicate their personality or place in the culture.